John Avery Heritage
Member Southampton Heritage Federation
 Sharing local history with the community
In 1967 the Queen Mary set off on her final voyage to Longbeach, California. This watercolour by Eric Crompton records the farewell.A stone carving on the RSH Hospital Chapel.An afternoon stroll on Plymouth Breakwater
John Avery is a Fellow of the Huguenot Society of Britain and Ireland, a member of Southampton
Heritage Federation, City of Southampton Society [Honorary Life Member], Friends of Southampton Old Cemetery [Honorary Life Member],  Friends of  Town Quay Park, National Federation of Cemetery Friends, The Southampton Fryatt Plaque, Devon Family History Society, West Country Historic Omnibus & Transport Trust , Landmark Trust, National Trust
Copyright 2018

   Home      Industrial Unrest in 1924

During 1924 there was much industrial unrest in the country. The London omnibus and tram crews had been on strike for 10 days,
shipyard workers went on strike in Southampton shortly to be joined by coal trimmers at Leith and the pottery trade at Stoke.
There were more than 1 million unemployed and skilled workers were earning minimum wages. Most families were in difficulty in
meeting higher rents on their housing. There was much unrest as the five major bankers and many insurance companies increased profits
whilst in Scotland the government stopped further social house building.
The ship repairers at Southampton [with the exception of the Boilermakers] were on strike for more than 2 months demanding a weekly
wage of 17 shillings a week which would match their counterparts in the Port of London. The Shipbuilders Employers Federation
announced a lock out and the Southampton workers were prevented from entering the docks and the Thornycroft yard at Woolston.
Cunard desperate to get the Mauretania back into service devised a plan which would cause unrest with the engineering unions
 and Red Funnel and Alexandra Towing the port tug operators.
During the night of 13th April workmen were secretly boarded onto the Mauretania evading the attention of the nearby pickets and unannounced
 five Dutch tugs arrived and took the ship off for repairs at Cherbourg. [We also have to assume that French unions and French shipyard
workers would not have welcomed their strike breaking counterparts on their arrival.] The Mauretania and the tugs met a severe
north westerly gale and struggled to reach one knot but eventually safely arrived at Cherbourg, the trip having taken 56 hours.
It would be interesting to discover how Cunard re- established its relationships with the Southampton shipyards and the local tug providers
after this incident.



snowfall Southampton Old Cemetery courtesy FoSOCSeamen's strike at Southampton 1966Royal Blues at Bournemouth c 1949 photo by Derek Amey local historians Jim Brown and John Avery deep in thought. Image Ann MacGillivray Veronica Tippetts addressing Court Leet Oct 2nd 2012. Image Will TempleJohn Melody Southampton Town Crier at Court Leet 2012. Image Will Temple